I’m not one to really make New Year’s Resolutions. Just like many people, come March I’ve forgotten all about them. I prefer to make some goals to work on throughout the year. Knowing I’ve got 12 months to do the best I can gives me a little wiggle room to screw up and try again.
So here’s all the things I’m looking forward to doing this year:
* Being better (and reminding myself that this does not mean perfect). I want to be a better wife, friend, sister, aunt, daughter. They say showing up is half the battle and I can’t wait to just show up this year.
* Being a tourist in my own country. After moving back to the States in 2 weeks (!!) I’m sure my international travel will be put on the back burner. But I’m really looking forward to getting to see my own country through new eyes. I’ve been away for a long time and have gotten a new perspective.
* Getting back into shape. I admit that I’ve been a bit lazy lately. Getting active and healthier is something on my list of things to do.
* Reading more. I love to read and this is something I haven’t been doing much of lately. I don’t know what to read and being here in Spain I sometimes feel out of the loop so actually going to a bookstore to pick out a book sounds great.
* Not lose my Spanish and learn more Basque. I’ve worked really hard to get to where I am with my Spanish and it would be such a pity to lose it all. I have to find a way to maintain this level I’ve achieved. And I would love to continue learning Basque. I know it won’t be easy but I’ve got to find a way.
* Cook more. I love to cook and be in the kitchen. It inspires me and give me an outlet to be creative. I would love to work in a restaurant and learn everything I can. Even if that doesn’t happen, I want to spend more time in my own kitchen.
* Figure out what I want to do in my life. I’m not so sure I want to teach anymore. Yes, I love it. Many would say I’m good at it. But I’m not sure it’s my passion. I really do like being my own boss and my hubby jokes that I could never have a “normal” job so figuring out my next professional step will be important.
* Blog more and better. I started this blog over a year ago to give me a place to share stories and connect with others around the world. I want to keep blogging about my new life in the States, my old travels and whatever life brings my way.
* Learn more about photography. One of my big purchases this year will be a new camera and I really want to learn how to take better pictures.
* Rekindle old friendships. Being away from home takes a toll on relationships. It just does. Even with all the technology we have, there’s nothing like sitting down with a cup of coffee and just talking to a friend. Instead of relying on Skype, Facebook & Instagram I want to be there in person and be a part of the new memories.
* Keep new friendships alive. I’ve been so lucky to make some really great friends here in Spain and I don’t want to lose them.
* Get to know my in-laws better. It seems like just recently a new leaf has been turned over with my in-laws. Just yesterday my suegra told me that she counts me as part of her family. Our relationship has improved tenfolds and I want to just get closer and closer.
What about you? What are the things you’re looking forward to in 2014? Do you usually make New Year’s Resolutions? Do you always keep them?