I don’t know about the rest of you and where you live but I think Spring has skipped The Basque Country this year. Now I know it’s still February (but I like to plan ahead so let’s just call it March) but we are still having wintry weather. And if you know anything about the winter weather here in Euskadi, it’s not fun. Torrential rain, gale force winds, recently even snow and if you get a really shitty day a combination of all three!!
With all this bad weather, I’ve had one cold after another (it now just feels like one long cold) and with all the work I’ve had lately, no time to rest and start anew. But when we were in Germany a few weekends ago I discovered something that has helped tremendously: Hot Lemon! It’s a simple hot lemon drink that soothes your sore throat and makes you feel so much better. It’s simple and easy to make, all-natural and caffeine free! Having one before going to bed relaxes you just enough to make you sleep better or I’ve been having one after lunch instead of another cup of coffee. It’s the easiest thing to make and you only need three things: water, a lemon and honey (or sugar if you prefer).
Here’s how you make it in a few easy steps:
1. Get some lemons (these ones are much yellower in real life…I swear)
2. Cut one in half
3. Squeeze juice of one lemon into a mug (I use a little strainer to catch the seeds)
(Representing your country with a flag mug optional)
5. Heat some water and pour it into mug
6. Add a few teaspoons of honey (I add three but it might depend on how sweet you like it)
7. Voila!! Enjoy!! And hopefully you’ll start feeling better soon after!
Do you have any home remedies to fight colds? Are you tired of this cold weather also? When do you think we’ll finally have some sunshine and warm weather?